Monday, 27 October 2014
Patient series - Patient 5 Introduction
Initial Background Questions:
Please state your age, gender, country of origin and where you live (if different to origin) and how long you have had the condition?
I am a 49 year old female and I live in Virginia USA (I am from North Carolina) I first noticed nodules sometime in 2012.
Do you have it in both feet or any hands?
I have it in both hands and both feet.
Please detail any family history or common risk factors which apply to you:
My father has Dupuytren’s, as does my brother, two uncles and an aunt. (On my father’s side) I am the only one with Ledderhose. I have the progressive form of Dupuytren’s Diathesis.
Please list any treatments you have had, the time since you had them, the progress (or lack of) after treatment and any side effects:
I have had surgery on my left hand and left foot. It has come back with a vengeance on my left hand. I have horrible scar tissue on my left foot where I had surgery in June of this year.
Please detail any other information from your past which you think may be relevant and not covered in the monthly questions:
1. In the last month have you noticed any changes in the pain or size of the nodules? Or have any new nodules have developed?
I find new nodules every day in my hands and the ones in my feet get bigger every time I feel of them.
2. Please list a) The maximum pain b) the average pain c) the minimum pain you experienced this month and anything that improved or worsened the pain.
It is unbearable to walk at all any more.
3. In the last month what medication or treatments have you had, please describe in as much detail as possible including whether prescribed or home treatment, if applicable where the treatment was administered, by whom, cost (if happy to share) and how this has impacted the condition
I can not take oral anti inflammatory medicines, so my doctor has put me on a cream. I just started it so I’m not sure how it is going to work in the long term.
4. Please describe how the condition has impacted you on a daily basis in the last month and any new steps (not treatments) that you have taken to try and alleviate this impact.
I stay off my feet as much as possible. There’s really not much else I can do, or that I know of doing.
5. Please describe the level of exercise that you have been able to achieve this month and any specific diets you have used if you think they have impacted the condition.
6. Please list any other information that you think would be useful.
I wished I knew of some…