Monday 29 May 2017

My low carb diet

After my recent post on my thoughts on diets and their potential impact on the pathways that impact Dupuytren's and Ledderhose I had a few questions about what diet I am on exactly. The answer is a low-carb high fat diet. We do not follow any particular rules or book but have made up our own way of doing things that work for us and even I differ from what my wife has. The main difference between the 2 of us is that I avoid sweetener more than she does e.g. diet coke and low carb chocolate but I probably have a bit more fat e.g. in cream or leaving the fat on the bacon. 

Now I don't want to make this into a low carb blog but if there is any particular interest in this or in any of the recipes below and I think it will be beneficial then I might add some more but I think it is unlikely, after all this is the Ledderhose disease blog. 

To be honest most of the below is actually a case of making an alternative, different bread, ground almonds rather than flour, almond yogurt instead of normal and certainly never get low fat options for anything, cauliflower mash / rice rather than the normal. Breakfast is the most different as can have a fry up every day and we did for the first year that we were on the diet. 

Breakfasts: 
Low carb bacon sandwich - The bread is from Tom Kerridge book Dopamine diet and is mainly ground almond and flax seed based. 
Bacon, egg, leek and mushroom. 
Fruit, almond yogurt and nut butter 
Pizza Omelette

Lunch: (can use some of these breakfast)
Chicken salad
Tuna Mayo 
Bacon, chicken and mayo sandwich (same bread as above can be used to make lots of different sandwiches) 

Dinner:
Curry with cauliflower rice
Cottage pie (cauliflower mash) and packed with lots of veg e.g. cabbage, leek, mushroom, celery, radish, kale, spinach etc. 
Chilli 
Lasagna - lots of alternatives for pasta there is one that uses psyllium (sp?) husk or you can use leek or white radish. 
I have created a few Chinese dishes including chicken and cashew nuts, sweet and sour, egg fried cauliflower rice, chicken balls etc and you can have crispy duck. 

Puddings: We try to only use natural sweetened (by fruit)
Jelly and ice cream 
Fruit and yogurt 
Pear and raspberry low carb pie (pastry made with ground almonds and custard with no sugar)

No comments:

Post a Comment