Tuesday 6 March 2012

A note from a book

Scar formation is usually a good thing, well the healing of a wound is at least and normally this is as I said a good thing, did you know however that it is an over kill response of this process that is thought to play a role in the formation of DD and LD nodules. I was reading a book the other day, the bone yard by Jefferson Bass and I thought makes sense when I read: (this book is a crime-thriller book and is actually a really good read)

"Inflammation is painful, but it's crucial to healing, especially in broken bones: blood flows to the site of the break, bringing with it an abundant supply of cells that clot into a thick, collagen-rich splice called a 'healing callus.' Over the course of 6 to 8 weeks, the collagen matrix fills in with calcium and becomes new bone."

Of course the above book is talking about bones healing but I think the important point there is the use of collagen, this is similar to what occurs at tears in fascia (like the plantar fascia) and it this thought that then it is perhaps this process going on too long or going to strong that causes the formation of the nodules in LD/DD (at least this is my understanding).

If I feel like it later I might do a post on scar formation and see if I can find any paper where they actually have a firm link between this and the formation of nodules but as I have seen in my recent review it is not clear that there is a link between trauma and formation of DD/LD.

No comments:

Post a Comment