Tuesday 20 March 2012

Another Radiotherapy patient - Number 3

I am getting responses to my interviews right now so I thought I would keep the ball rolling with another post. Another patient that has had radiotherapy for. Thanks to Sarkis from the Dupuytren's Forum. 

1) Do you have Ledderhose Disease, Dupuytren’s disease or both? 

I have had Ledderhose for three years.

2) Do you have a family history of the disease? If yes how prevalent is it?


No family antecedents that I know of.

3) How long have you been symptomatic? 


I first noticed the lump on my left foot in August 2010 when I was walking barefoot on a riverbed. Initially painless. In March 2011 I felt that it was growing bigger and I felt very uncomfy when walking. I was a regular jogger. This was the first definite change in my life. I have stopped jogging.

4) What treatments have you received? 


Radiotherapy, two sessions, the second one 6 months after the first. 30 Gys, each time.

5) How successful were these treatments? 


My left foot –the one that got treatment- is much better. Unfortunately the right foot has started to grow irksome: I have seen a small nodule that somehow or other has started to act up.

6) You said you had radiation treatment, what was this experience like? 


The treatment includes 5 days of radiotherapy, 3 gys. each day in June and in September. The total cost was around 1,000 euros both sessions. Radiotherapy is totally painless.

7) Are you currently satisfied with the treatment that you have received?


I feel much better with my right foot so I am fairly satisfied. The cord uniting the nodules has become less rigid and I feel almost no pain.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know where the treatment took place?

    The Old Bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they had it in Hamburg, see here for their post on the Dupuytren's forum: http://www.dupuytren-online.info/Forum_English/board/ledderhose/my-experience-with-radiotherapy-in-hamburg-1_196.html

    ReplyDelete