Monday 26 March 2012

Some unanswered questions answered?


I was looking through how people came across the site and thought there are some questions that I should have the answers for on here, so here goes...

Ledderhose disease, anyone healed? 

Now I am not sure that healed is the word but there are plenty of people out there who have had various different treatments and are happy with the results. Some have had surgery and are happy, though most of the stories that I have seen on-line are very negative and say to avoid this. Most people are currently recommending radiotherapy and many are happy with the outcome and although not cured their symptoms have diminished or they have become asymptomatic. Though I am not a doctor so there you go...

Is plantar fibroma, plantar fibromatosis and Ledderhose the same thing?

As far as I am aware plantar fibroma, fibromatosis and Ledderhose are the same thing.

Why does having epilepsy increase the chances for developing a plantar fibroma?

This is a weird one and one I actually can't answer, as far as I am aware there has only been a suggestion that this is the case and actually of all of the people I have interviewed and spoken to none have mentioned having epilepsy. I think this is just an unfounded statement that has been stuck with but I am happy to hear from anyone with evidence saying otherwise. 

Does the NHS offer verapamil for the treatment plantar fibromatosis? 

As far as I am aware no, but keep an eye out for Xiapex injections which might be getting approved in Devon for Dupuytren's only.

Can Physio help with Plantar fibroma? 

Well this is one that is quite hard to answer and I am sorry for that, physio is listed as a treatment option and I was sent for physio when I was first diagnosed just to be told that there was nothing that could be done and this was from a physio who had been in the job for around 30 years or so. I personally do not see how it can help but I am not a trained medical professional. Then again do you think that someone pummelling that painful lump is going to feel good?

Can you get a blue disabled badge if you have a plantar fibroma?

The answer to this one is that it is dependent on your ability to walk probably the criteria of your council. I was told that as I can still walk 500m the answer was no.

How to pronounce Dupuytren's? 

Do-pete-rons

The last question is one that I have had a lot of people ask me in person and I also saw it listed on people coming here so thought why not look it up and above is how they said to say it. I have to be honest and say I have said this many different ways and this was not one of those ways.

1 comment:

  1. And now the North East have revised a previous decision and approved the use of xiapex!

    The Old Bag

    ReplyDelete