Wednesday 29 February 2012

Rare disease day...

Happy Rare Disease day everyone, not sure if that is the right way to announce it? 

Anyway today is rare disease day and that we should all be trying to raise awareness of any rare disease that we are aware of. I was interested yesterday as I am following the Rare Disease Day posts on facebook and a little boy was on there who has a disease called AT and I guess because people that are in the same building as me work on the protein associated with this (ATM) I forget that it is a rare disease. I am not going to go into the details of AT or ATM here as they are quite complicated and I would take me a while. 

Afraid that I don't have time today to post a thought provoking post like yesterday which by the way was a very popular post and has had many viewings and a lot of comments. Today was an ok day, my foot did hurt and it did really get me down this morning as we were discussing the time when we eventually have kids (a few years away yet) and I was already feeling bad about my foot as it was hurting the day before and was already niggling at me this morning (and proved to be quite bad today) and my partner said well we will have lots of little Me's running around and the first thing that popped into my head was if they are anything like me they will not be running around but rather hobbling and that really got to me. 

Anyway that is it for today but I hope to get a good science post in tomorrow. 

4 comments:

  1. You don't know what the future holds. Take each day as it comes and deal with what you need to now. (And she is not your partner - she is your wife!)

    The Old Bag

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just because she is my wife doesn't make her not my partner but yes I could have used wife :-)

    And I do not know what the future holds but I couldn't help that this popped into my head when my wife said that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, of course you can't stop it popping into your head, but you can reassure yourself that there could be new treatments etc in the future and also that your children won't necessarily inherit it. In that way, you can to some degree, prevent it getting to you. Is there anyone else in your family who has/had it? There might not even be a genetic link in your family.
    I see wife as a superior term to partner! And using the superior term expresses greater respect for her. Maybe you see the terms as equivalent?

    The Old Bag

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are correct that I should take comfort from the fact that there is not any family history for me or indeed for my wife. I also agree that wife is a stronger / superior term than partner as one could be considered your partner after a single date whilst wife shows marriage and a strong bond and is the term I intend to use but only being married 2 1/2 weeks I am still trying to get into the habit of using it.

    ReplyDelete