Friday 23 July 2021

9 years post radiotherapy

It is now almost 9 years to the day since I finished my 2nd week of radiotherapy, you can read more of my background here.. That was back in 2012 (obviously) and how things have changed since then, though we do have another Olympics about to start. 

I still reflect that is crazy how much has change, not just that I now have an 8 year old daughter but with the Ledderhose and things. Thanks to the radiotherapy I have gained my mobility and am not just able to walk pain free but run pain free, well with no pain from the fibroma, running can still be painful. Although standing for long periods of time can cause issue we still work our way round Legoland and have a great time. 

Thanks to Low carb I have lost weight and am a keen runner. I am really excited that parkrun is about to return in England looking forwards to work my way up from the 150 I have completed so far and I am nearing 100 volunteers as well. With lockdown easing I am looking to get properly back into my running and would love a proper crack at my 10km PB early next year. 

I am hoping to do some more Ledderhose stuff soon, more to come on that in another post or two. I am potentially looking to do a follow up survey from the one in 2014/2015. I have learnt a lot since then around survey design, what I would want to focus on and I have learnt so much in terms of data analysis and that side of things. Still just an idea at the moment. 

Another thing I would like to do is a literature review, although I have been keeping my eye out for ground breaking papers I have lost touch a little and would like to see of there is any exciting Dupuytren's or Ledderhose news I have missed in the last few years. 

Really this post was just to get the ball rolling, to say hi I am here and that I will be looking to post a little more again. Maybe tomorrow I will do a post parkrun post, so happy that things are getting back to normal but I don't want to get into that. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Gary lovely to read your update. Thanks to reading your story I had my RT with Dr Shaffer on my LD 5 1/2 years ago. I am also so much fitter and active than I was prior to treatment. The only issue I had once the LD pain had gone was it revealed the pain of a totally shot sesamoid which is now more of an issue! The LD pain was so bad it was masking it. I would love to take part in any follow up survey.

    ReplyDelete