Saturday 21 May 2022

10 years since radiotherapy started

I got a reminder on my phone this morning, it is now 10, yes 10!!! years since I started radiotherapy in Guildford with Dr Shaffer to treat my Ledderhose. It is crazy thinking how much things have changed and although I still look back at those time I have come so far. I was out walking the dog for over an hour this morning and for me this was a lazy Saturday morning as I didn't follow it up with an 8 mile run including parkrun. When I was back suffering with my foot and weighing the best part of 20 stone who would have thought that 10 years later I would fast be approaching 200 parkruns. 

It is safe to say that I still consider radiotherapy one of the best decisions of my life, it was quite literally life changing and so much of my life now would likely be different if I had had surgery instead. In a typical day I run with my daughter on her scooter to get her to and from school, take the dog for a walk or run (or two), often go for a run myself, play badminton not to mention the mundane things like I am the one who does the weekly shop round Tesco, no way would I have nominated myself to do that back when I had my bad foot. Tomorrow we are going on one of our regular trips round Legoland and whilst a day on my feet can cause my foot to ache a bit the next day I can see the joy and happiness on my daughters face and think that without RT we would certainly not be able to go regularly. In fact we go so much she asked for it as the theme for her birthday this year, so it is not just my life that is completely different. 

I will forever be grateful for the support and help my friends and family gave me back then and since. 




10 years is a long time, I have lost a lot of people in those years, many of whom helped a lot either by financial and or emotional support during this time but we will never forget that help and the difference it has made to our lives. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi. I've recently found a lump under my foot which I assume is a plantar fibroma. I have just come across your blog and wanted to thank you for providing this information and story. I am terrified.

    ReplyDelete